If you all haven’t heard of Hungry Girl, you need to check her site out. She started off small, but now she’s got a great site, a handful of cookbooks out, and even her own cooking show! I signed up for her email list about a month ago and now I get awesome recipes sent right to my inbox. This paella one came through recently and I knew I had to share! As a seafood fanatic, how could I not?? I’m extremely pumped to try out this recipe!
Hungry Girl’s Paella
PointsPlus Per Serving: 8
Calories Per Serving: 319
- – 8 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces, 8 PP
- – 1/2 tsp. each salt and black pepper, divided
- – 2 cups sliced onions
- – 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- – 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- – 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- – 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- – 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- – 1/2 tsp. paprika
- – 1/4 tsp. ground thyme
- – 1 cup uncooked brown rice, 18 PP
- – 3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
1. Spray a large pot (with a lid) with nonstick spray and bring to medium-high heat on the stove. Add chicken and season with 1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper. Stirring occasionally, cook for 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside.
2. Remove pot from heat, re-spray, and return to medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Stirring occasionally, cook until softened, about 6 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, turmeric, paprika, thyme, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper to the pot. Cook until mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add rice and mix well. Add broth, peas, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 35 – 40 minutes, until rice is fully cooked.
5. Add all of the seafood, the cooked chicken, and the parsley. Stirring often, cook for 5 minutes, or until seafood is fully cooked.
6. Add lemon juice and stir. Remove from heat and re-cover. Let stand for 10 minutes.
7. Remove bay leaves. Add remaining 1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper. If you like, garnish with lemon wedges and season to taste with additional salt and black pepper. Enjoy!