We all know I’m a spice addict. It all started with jalapenos. My dad always had a jar of them in the fridge, but I never actually ventured out and tried them until high school. I made up my mind one night that I wanted to cook chicken because I’d never cooked it before (I was lucky enough to have two parents that knew how to cook and a budget that didn’t allow much eating out). I threw some things together and ended up making REALLY tasty jalapeno BBQ chicken strips. After that moment, I was hooked.
Jalapeno poppers are one of my favorite comfort foods. If they are at a restaurant or party (at least in the past), I was definitely eating more than one… or three. I’ve never actually made my own before, but when I stumbled upon this recipe from Gina’s Skinny Recipes blog, I knew I was going to give it a try!
I haven’t made them just yet, but you can be sure I’ll be making them for the next party I host! And since they’re only 1 point a piece, I’ll definitely be eating more than one! **NOTE** I calculated the pointsplus from the WW online recipe calculator and it said it was 1 point each. Gina’s site says they are 2 points each.
Gina’s Skinny Baked Jalapeno Poppers
PointsPlus Per Serving: 1
- 12 jalapeño peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4.5 oz light cream cheese, 7 PP
- 5 medium scallions, green part only, sliced
- 2 oz shredded low fat sharp cheddar (she used Cabot 50%), 2 PP
- 1/2 cup egg beaters or egg whites, beaten, 2 PP
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs, 6 PP
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- salt and fresh pepper
- spray oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Wearing rubber gloves, cut peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and membrane.
2. Combine cream cheese, cheddar and scallions in a medium bowl.
3. Combine panko, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in another bowl.
4. Fill peppers with cheese filling with a small spoon or spatula.
5. Dip peppers in egg beaters.
6. Place pepper in panko mixture, using a spoon to make sure all the seasoning doesn’t fall to the bottom of the bowl.
7. Spray a baking pan with oil spray. I lined my pan with parchment for easier cleanup. Lightly spray the peppers with a little more oil spray.
8. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, until golden and cheese oozes out.
9. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Serve hot.