One nice thing about vegetables is that they are relatively cheap. You can get a lot for a little bit of money, but you have to make sure you use them up quickly or they’ll go bad! They’re also great at soaking up flavor, so you can get them to be a perfect compliment to almost any dish.
Here’s a great recipe that I whipped up on a long, cold winter night when I was craving something savory and satisfying, but I didn’t have any meat thawed. I knew that pasta would be a great option, but I’d eaten pasta with red sauce earlier in the week and I really just wanted to use some veggies. I went to the grocery store and picked up my weekly veggies and I was excited to find organic zucchini, so I knew I wanted to use it!
This dish was wonderful and very inexpensive (non-organic equals less money spent too). All it required was one zucchini, a cup of broken up broccoli, some garlic, oil, butter, milk, spices and whatever noodle I wanted to use. I ended up using one of my favorites, these tiny organic veggie shells that I got from our local Food Co-op. All together, this dish would only cost you a few dollars from the noodles, zucchini and broccoli. It’s yummy, satisfying, good for you and won’t take a chunk out of your pocket! I’d estimate about $1.75 per serving including your noodles.
Veggie Saute for Pasta
PointsPlus Per Serving: 4
- 1 large zucchini, skin on, diced
- 1 cup broccoli, broken into small pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil, 4 PP
- 1/2 tbsp light butter, 1 PP
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk, 1 PP
- 1/4 cup reduced fat parmesan cheese, 1 PP
2. Put in zucchini and broccoli. Mix and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Put in butter, salt and pepper and let it melt as you stir. Once melted, pour in milk and cheese.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 more minutes.
6. Put on top of your favorite noodle. Enjoy!
This was fantastic on top of our noodles. It would probably be best with a penne, shell or other non-spaghetti type noodle just because it’s a chunky veggie saute. My girlfriend loooooved it. She had been craving pizza that night and this made her forget all about pizza. We topped it with a little extra parmesan cheese and enjoyed every bite. I hope you enjoy it too!